Ph.D., Univ. of Chicago (1994)
B.A., Pomona College (1989)
Vijay Prashad is an Indian historian and journalist. Professor of International Studies, he is author of fifteen books, two of them picked by the Village Voice
as books of the year, as well as nine edited volumes. He writes regularly for Frontline
(India), The Hindu
(Turkey) and Alternet
(USA) and appears regularly on The Real News Network
and Democracy Now
. He is the Chief Editor of LeftWord Books (New Delhi).
His books include:
- The Death of the Nation and the Future of the Arab Revolution (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2016 and New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2016).
- No Free Left: The Futures of Indian Communism (New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2015).
- The Poorer Nations: A Possible History of the Global South, preface by former UN Secretary General Boutros Boutros Ghali (London: Verso and New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2013).
- Uncle Swami: Being South Asian in America (New York: New Press and New Delhi: HarperCollins, 2013).
- Arab Spring, Libyan Winter (Baltimore: AK Press and New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2012).
- The Darker Nations: A People's History of the Third World, preface by Howard Zinn (New York: New Press and New Delhi: LeftWord, 2007).
- Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting: Afro-Asian Connections and the Myth of Cultural Purity (Boston: Beacon Press, 2001).
- Karma of Brown Folk (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2000).
- Untouchable Freedom: The Social History of a Dalit Community (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1999).
His edited volumes include:
- Land of Blue Helmets: the United Nations in the Arab World, co-edited with Karim Makdisi (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2016).
- Communist Histories, volume 1 (New Delhi: LeftWord books, 2016).
- Letters to Palestine: Writers Respond to War and Occupation (London: Verso, 2015).
- Dispatches from the Arab Revolt, co-edited with Paul Amar (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press and New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2013).
- Dispatches from Pakistan, co-edited with Qalandar Memon and Madiha R. Tahir (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota and New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2012).
- Dispatches from Latin America, co-edited with Teo Ballve (Boston: South End Press and New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2006).